A safe and effective diabetic diet must contain balanced, nutritious foods to avoid vitamin deficiencies and malnutrition.
A healthy diet should:
1. Be high in whole grains, fiber, fruits, and vegetables.
2. Contain lean chicken, fish, egg, or vegetable protein.
3. Be low in sweets, fats, and fried foods.
4. Include whole grains and high fiber.
5. Eliminate consumption of fast food.
BY DR ANIRBAN BISWAS (MD) - 9313315383
This article is adapted from an older article of the same title published in LYBRATE written by DR ANIRBAN BISWAS- one of the best diabetes doctors in Delhi. Read it here in Lybrate.
BOOK APPOINTMENT WITH DR ANIRBAN BISWAS ON LYBRATE
Diabetes control is governed by following the right diabetic diet. What to eat and what not to eat is important for diabetes control, cure, or diabetes reversal.
These are the top diabetes diet tips from diabetologist DR ANIRBAN BISWAS (APOLLO 24*7 CONSULTANT)
BOOK APPOINTMENT WITH DR ANIRBAN BISWAS ON APOLLO 24/7 APP
Even if you are pre-diabetic or borderline diabetic, or diabetes is part of your family, it is important to follow a diabetic diet to prevent diabetes.
Here is the Diet Food for Diabetics:
1. Whole grains, oats, Dalia, channa atta(besan ), sattu, millets, and other high fiber foods should be included in the meals. If one feels like consuming pasta or noodles, it should be made with atta & always be accompanied with vegetables/sprouts.
2. Milk is the right combination of carbohydrates and proteins and helps control blood sugar levels. Two servings of toned milk without sugar in a daily diet is a good option. you can also use buttermilk, plain curd, or unsweetened lassi.
3. High-fiber seasonal vegetables such as peas, beans, broccoli, and spinach /leafy vegetables & others should be included in one's diet. Also, pulses with husk and sprouts are a healthy option and should be part of the diet. Pulses are important in the diet as their effect on blood glucose is less than that of most other carbohydrate-containing foods. Vegetables rich in fiber help lowering down blood sugar levels and thus are healthy.
4. Good fats such as Omega-3 and monounsaturated fats (MUFA) should be consumed as they are good for the body. Natural sources for these are mustard oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil, fatty fish, and nuts. These are also low in cholesterol and are trans fat-free.
5. Fruits high in fiber such as papaya, apple, orange, pear, and guava should be consumed. Mangoes, bananas, and grapes contain high sugar; therefore these fruits should be consumed lesser than the others.
Also Read: Dr. Anirban Biswas recommends these 7 natural medicines for diabetes. Read about them in this article in PRACTO.
BOOK APPOINTMENT WITH DR ANIRBAN BISWAS ON PRACTO APP
WHAT TO DO:
Small frequent meals: A large meal gives rise to higher blood sugar in one's body, therefore it is essential to take small frequent meals to prevent both higher and very low blood sugar values and keep them constant. Small in-between snacks can be roasted channa, dhokla, fruit, karela biscuit, buttermilk, yogurt, upma/poha with vegetables, etc.
A person with diabetes should follow a diet that is low in carbohydrates, high in fiber, and contains adequate amounts of proteins, vitamins, and minerals; and avoid fatty foods and sweets. He/she should also take frequent small meals (5 meals pattern).
Artificial sweeteners can be used in cakes and sweets for diabetic people (in moderation).
Have lots of fluid.
Limit intake of alcohol.
Should you have non-veg?
In a non-vegetarian diet, seafood and chicken can be taken rather than red meat as red meat contains a higher amount of saturated fats. Also, patients with high cholesterol should avoid egg yolk and red meat.
The diabetes diet for Indians includes carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. As always, a balanced and planned diet can build and improve personal health. A controlled diabetes diet may seem like a drag and boring, but a good cook can add life to a diet.
Diabetic Diet Chart 1600 Kcal - Dr Anirban Biswas- MD Diabetologist
TRIVIA: DR ANIRBAN BISWAS HAS TREATED MORE THAN 25000 PATIENTS FROM 45 + COUNTRIES WORLDWIDE. HAVE A LOOK INTO HIS GALLERY
EARLY MORNING 6-7 AM
1 GLASS OF WARM WATER WITH LEMON JUICE + 5-6 ALMONDS/2-3 WALNUTS OR GREEN/GINGER/LEMON TEA +2 KARELA BISCUITS (BUY KARELA BISCUITS HERE)
RELATED ARTICLE: DIET CHART FOR HIGH URIC ACID/GOUT (BY DR ANIRBAN BISWAS -MD)
BREAKFAST 8-9 AM
1 BOWL OF OATS/ DALIA/WHEAT-FLAKES IN 250 ML TONED MILK ( WITH STEVIA) OR 2 ATTA BREAD SANDWICHES (VEG/EGG/TOFU/CHEESE/PANEER/BUTTER) OR 2 CHAPATIS/METHI PARANTHA WITH VEGETABLE/CURD/EGG BHURJI OR 2 IDLI/1 PLAIN DOSA/1 MIX-VEG UTTAPAM /2 DHOKLA/POHA/UPMA/PASTA
MID-MORNING 11 AM
1 FRUIT (APPLE/PEAR/GUAVA/ORANGE) + 1 GLASS BUTTERMILK
LUNCH 1-2 PM
2 CHAPATIS /1 BOWL BROWN RICE WITH VEG/NON-VEG CURRY +DAL/RAJMA + SALAD+CURD/RAITA
AFTERNOON 4-5 PM
1 BOWL SPROUTS/BHELPURI/JHALMURI/ CHANA-MURMURA
ALSO READ: PCOS DIET CHART 1500 KCAL ( BY DR ANIRBAN BISWAS -MD)
EVENING 7 PM
1 BOWL OF VEG/TOMATO/CHICKEN SOUP
DINNER 8-9 PM
2 CHAPATIS /1 BOWL BROWN RICE WITH VEG/NON-VEG CURRY +DAL/RAJMA + SALAD+CURD /RAITA
BEDTIME 10 PM
1 GLASS OF WARM MILK WITH A PINCH OF TURMERIC
FOODS TO AVOID :
SUGAR, JAGGERY, HONEY, SWEETS, CAKES, MAIDA(WHEAT FLOUR), POTATO, ARBI (COLOCASIA), SUJI, ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS (EXCEPT STEVIA), CARBONATED DRINKS, ENERGY DRINKS, CHOCOLATES (EXCEPT DARK CHOCOLATE), FULL CREAM MILK/PANNER/DAHI, WHITE RICE, JUNK FOOD(SAMOSA, KACHORI, JALEBI, PIZZA, BURGER, CHOWMEIN/ NOODLES, MOMOS, ALU CHAT/TIKKI), PAV-BHAJI, CHOLE-BHATURE, DATES, MANGO, CHIKOO, LITCHI, GRAPES, FRUIT-JUICES, FRIED/FAST FOOD, GRAVIES/OILY FOOD
DID YOU KNOW: THAT DR ANIRBAN BISWAS-MD HAS HELPED OVER 1500 PATIENTS GET RID OF INSULIN THROUGH HIS ABIR DIET PROTOCOL. HAVE A LOOK AT THE TESTIMONIALS FROM HIS PATIENTS.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT WITH HIM TO LEARN MORE OR CALL NOW - 9313315383
FOODS TO TAKE :
MULTIGRAIN ATTA, BROWN/PARBOILED RICE, OATS,DALIA,SATTU, VEGETABLES LIKE LAUKI/PARWAL/CABBAGE/CAULIFLOWER/BRINJAL/KUNDRU/CAPSICUM/KARELA/BEANS/TINDA/TORI/GHIYA/BHINDI/MUSHROOM,LEAFY GREENS LIKE PALAK,METHI,SARSON,BATHUA , SALADS(CUCUMBER/TOMATO/LETTUCE/ENGLISH CARROT/BROCCOLI), LOW FAT/TONED MILK, PANEER,DAHI , LENTILS(DAL),RAJMA,PEAS,CHANA,SOYABEAN,TOFU, FISH,CHICKEN ,EGGS, FRUITS LIKE APPLE,PEAR,GUAVA,ORANGE,GRAPEFRUIT,MELONS,PEACH,PLUM,BERRIES,
FOODS IN MODERATION:
BANANA, PAPAYA, WATERMELON, ALMONDS/WALNUTS/PISTACHIOS, PUMPKIN, PEAS, RADISH, INDIAN CARROT, BEETROOT, TURNIP
ROASTED CHANA, SPROUTS, SALADS, LEMON WATER, BERRIES, BUTTERMILK,
BONUS READ: 7 DAYS DIABETIC /WEIGHT LOSS DIET 1400 KCAL (BY DR ANIRBAN BISWAS-MD)
UNPROCESSED OLIVE, MUSTARD, COCONUT, GROUNDNUT, RICE BRAN, SESAME, BUTTER, AND DESI-GHEE
BUY KARELA BISCUITS (Dr. Anirban Biswas recommends)
BUY INDIAN DIABETIC RECIPE COOKBOOK (Dr. Anirban Biswas recommends)